Our client is an Islamic bank based in Kuwait, which provides Islamic Shari’a compliant products and services, covering banking, real estate, trade finance, investment portfolios. Our client uses the Ethix Branch application for their day-to-day branch operations, Takaful Insurance systems for Insurance operations and MS Dynamics CRM for tracking customer- business relationships.
Ethix Branch is a client application designed for daily interaction between teller and customers within retail banking environment. Main modules of Ethix Branch are Customer Service Repository (CSR) and Teller Business Stations. CSR mainly deals with queue management, RIM opening, personal account opening, corporate accounts and black listing of accounts. Teller Business Stations include modules for cash withdrawal, cash deposit, dividend, account to account transfer etc.
Takaful Insurance is an internally developed application by our client for daily interaction with insurance customers and calculations based on Insurance policies. Takaful Insurance solution offers below products to our client’s customers in different age group and gender to secure them with insurance.
- Jamaeti – Higher Education plan for children,
- Injaaz –Achievement Investment plan
- Thimar – Retirement Investment Plan
- Rafaa – marriage Investment Plan
The application deals with modules like simulating, issuing, approving, activation, amendment, payments of these insurance policies. Process flow of the Takaful Insurance system is as shown below:
MS Dynamics CRM – Our client uses the customised MS Dynamics CRM for maintaining customer-business relationships. Retail 360 and Corporate 360 modules deals with retail and corporate customer details in CRM. The bank team uses this information for other sale related functionalities like the opportunity management. The opportunity management module deals with Sales perspective of bank on the bank customer. The functionality covers the capturing of potential customer details and their trends or interest in the bank product. The opportunity can be closed as won opportunity if the customer buys the product offered or as lost if customer declines the offer.
- Retail 360 degree module shows the General details, products issued to the customer, opportunities, alerts, relations, guarantees, charts, and interaction history of the customer.
- Corporate 360 degree module shows the General details, corporate hierarchy, products issued to the customer, offers, alerts, other eligible products, charts, and interaction history of the customer.
- Opportunity management module is for creating new opportunities for the customers in the CRM by sales team. Opportunity management module allows the business team to close the opportunities in lost and won status.
Testhouse consultants offered automation of the test cases using the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise CodedUI. For the automation of Ethix Branch and Takaful Insurance, Testhouse team used data driven framework approach, fetching the data from MS Excel and writing the results in MS Excel after the execution of the test cases. The screenshots were taken on the validation steps, which can be viewed once the execution finishes in the corresponding test case folder created in the screenshot directory. In CRM, all the test cases data has been hard coded for executing the test cases as most of the test cases are independent to each other.
- Ethix branch
All modules were automated as data driven test methods, to enable the user to test the module for multiple conditions like positive, negative and exceptions scenarios. The data to be driven are held in the “Data” folder, scripts in the “Scripts” folder and UIMap repository in UIMaps folder.
Excel reporting is implemented using visual studio CodedUI automation script to a detailed report for each data row executed from the data sheets.
Results were reported in the below format:
- Takaful Insurance
Similar approach has been taken in Takaful Insurance as in Ethix Branch.
In the case of CRM, we have hard coded the data in the source code, as the test cases were independent from each other. The source coded are kept in “Scripts” folder and UIMap repository in UIMaps folder.
Results were reported in the below format:
Our client delivered the test cases for the Ethix Branch in JIRA, which were to be automated. The total number of test cases were 2874 during the Onsite engagement. For Takaful Insurance and CRM, test cases were delivered to the Testhouse team as and when required.
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 enterprise edition
- Team Foundation Server 2015
Risks and Challenges
- The test cases and screenshots for most of the modules were written for previous versions of Ethix-Branch
- Some of the validations and test cases were based on Mosaic application
- Test cases only contains the title, screenshots and data to be filled (No detailed steps)
- Time constraints
- Compensating down time
- Connectivity issues
- Understanding the functionality
- Delay in delivery of test data and clarifications to Testhouse team.
Testhouse consultants who have good exposure into Banking and test automation catered the client requirements as two phases, onsite and offshore in a duration of three months each.
Ethix Branch was automated during the Onsite Engagement of three months from 28th September to 25th December ’16. The detailed automation status is as shown below:
Takaful Insurance was automated during the offshore engagement from 2nd January to 13th March ’17. The detailed automation status is as shown below:
CRM was automated during the offshore engagement from 14nd March to 4th May ‘17. The detailed automation status is as shown below: