One of the core tasks during load testing is setting up the required test agents or load generators. Though it is straightforward in most cases, it can be challenging and time-consuming when you do not have enough details required for hardware sizing and memory footprint and also need support for thousands of virtual users.
We have been providing technical solutions to clients across various domains, and we have great success and experience in using some of the industry-leading load testing tools available on the cloud.
When deciding between cloud and on-premises, consider the following key parameters:
- The number of virtual users
- Number of tests to be run
- Duration of tests
- Types of testing: load, stress, spike and soak, and extreme scalability tests
If you have a requirement to run scalability tests with a large number of users (a few thousand to millions) within aggressive timelines, cloud-based load generation tools are the best fit.
Here are some major advantages of using cloud-based load testing tools:
- Setting up Load generation machines: zero effort. Many tool providers have the required setup done for you. Start running your scripts within minutes.
- Geographically distributed users load tests Simply choose your preferred location. No additional settings are required.
- Hardware sizing: Almost all load-testing vendors have benchmarked their tools. Depending on the protocol and number of users, the specifications are auto-provisioned on the fly during execution. Be assured, that load generators will not be bottlenecks during our test execution, unlike on-premise execution.
- IP whitelisting: You can choose dedicated IPs and reserve them as per your requirements. This is important if you are required to run tests behind a firewall.
- Data storage and backup: redundancy is the least heard in the cloud environment. Your scripts, scenarios, test data, and results/reports are in safe hands.
- Tool procurement: You do not need to force your sales team to search for a tool vendor. There are extensive tools available today that can be procured online.
- Pay as you go: buy the required credit upfront or top up if you foresee additional credit requirements. Track your licence effectively using built-in tool features.
- Cost-benefit: There is no additional effort or time required to set up the load testing infrastructure. You will get a readily available environment with pre-configured test controllers and agents. Additionally, there are no added maintenance costs.
The licence cost can be calculated when you have a good test strategy and plan in place. Most tools are licenced based on VUH (virtual user hours). Visit the pricing page of the load testing tool if you choose to build your package.
At Testhouse, we have successfully executed load tests for as many as 400K concurrent virtual users. If you need assistance in identifying the right tool or licencing model, please do not hesitate to write to us.